Author Topic: New chaff filter  (Read 1898 times)

RasmusDJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Roaster: Aillio Bullet R1
  • Coffee equipment: Rocket Evoluzione & Mazzer Kony E
New chaff filter
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:10:02 PM »
Hi all

A friend of mine just received a new prototype of a new chaff filter. It it a lot bigger, but still fits into the roaster. It should be alot easier to clean as you easily can take it out, wash it and put it back again.

Have a look at it here. I'm really looking forward to hearing how it works.

ila_renderedila_rendered
ila_renderedila_rendered
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:12:06 PM by RasmusDJ »

numberOneWithABullet

• View Profile
  • Roaster: Behmor 1600 Plus
  • Coffee equipment: Too many ways to make coffee
Re: New chaff filter
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:18:57 PM »
How did your friend receive this? Is this a prototype of something that Aillio will be offering?

RasmusDJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 11:35:21 PM »
It is a prototype that he's testing for Aillio, I'm not sure when and how they will sell it, neither is he. But so far, it seems like a great upgrade.

Should be able to do up to 900gr x 5 times, before the air flow starts to fall.

Furious George

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:02:33 PM »
OH MY GOD!!!  HURRY UP AND LET US AT EM!

Very interested in hearing more, but it seems like a great idea and a great solution to multiple roast bottle neck problem.  Way to go Aillio!

RasmusDJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »
I just copy/pasted this from facebook, but it seems like its working really well.

Quote from: Steffen Lav
More good news on the testing of the chaff filter prototypes!
As already mentioned earlier I have been testing the new filters with a handful of other testers around the globe. The only other I know of from this group is Jon Holiday who also roast large batches back to back.
I was given three different mesh sizes: 30, 40 and 50. It looks like the 30 equals that of the original dome shaped filter. As Jon started to test the 30 I decided to test the 40, and have used the 40 ever since.
Yesterday I roasted 6000g of greens divided onto 7 batches of 860g - roasted back to back (I feel I have better control of the profile when going below 1000g batch size)
So what about the new chaff filter - was it blocked? Not at all, but the chaff container was pretty full (!) See the pictures below. My success criterion for the test has been a clear NO to the following questions:
1) Do I need to empty the chaff container between every (second) roast in order to have uninterrupted air flow in the roaster?
2) Do I bother cleaning the filter ever so often as I risk the coffee oils in the exhaust will clog the fine mesh?
3) Do I need to increase the air flow during subsequent roasts as the filter get more and more saturated?
4) Do I have to take out the black rubber gasket with the filter inserted when the filter needs cleaning anyway (risking that I cut myself on the sharp edges of the metal plate)?
Well, after this test I would say clearly "no" to 1, 2 and 3 and a maybe to 4. The filter is easily pulled out of the rubber gasket - but not so easily reinserted. I have heard that aillio is looking into a smoother interface. Check. The pictures: To be able to see the amount of chaff sticking to the mesh I took out the filter and rubber gasket sub assembly anyway. The last picture show the filter just brushed off. Until now after 15kg of greens I never realy cleaned it just brushed it of.... but maybe it is time to do a thorough Cafiza clean.
Next step will be to run the same test with the 50 mesh filter. Then see if too many particles (and what not) will be transferred into my smoke filter box and block my activated carbon sheets....

ila_renderedila_rendered
ila_renderedila_rendered
ila_rendered

bengreens

• View Profile
  • Roaster: Bullet R-1, Swissmar Bravi
  • Coffee equipment: Clever dripper, Nomad espresso, Fiorenzato T80, Handground
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 07:37:52 PM »
My wife has a tea strainer that looks very similar. Ordered mine 3 days ago and am looking forward to having that extra area as well as an easily removable piece that I can just plop into a glass of Cafiza solution.

That is an amazing quantity of chaff Steffen accumulated!

RasmusDJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 02:28:49 PM »
I just roasted 5x700gr without having the empty the chaff collector, or going down in airflow. :)

deannielsen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »
OH MY GOD!!!  HURRY UP AND LET US AT EM!

Very interested in hearing more, but it seems like a great idea and a great solution to multiple roast bottle neck problem.  Way to go Aillio!
I order it on Aillio site yesterday.